Thursday, September 17, 2009

PR and comedy together?

I heard about this particular comedy sketch on CBC a while ago. Not being all that familiar with the field of PR at the time, I watched it, laughed at it, and moved on. Recently taking another look at it, however, makes me wonder how many comedians are in PR because I think they would be perfect for the job.

There seems to be something about the psyche of comedians which allows them to notice the quirks, take advantage of an audience, and in general, twist around words to create the effect they want. Or in this case, master the art of filling up a journalist's interview time without actually giving away any solid information (which, I can imagine, is probably a hard thing to accomplish without looking simply repeating "I'm not talking about this. It's a non-issue." (Take note, Bomber coach Mike Kelly)).

Here, comedians John Clarke and Bryan Dawe act out an interview between an Australian senator and a journalist about a real life oil spill which occurred off the country's western coast in the 90s.

1 comment: